Changing Compatibility View in Internet Explorer
This article covers how users can modify the compatibility view settings in Internet Explorer. Changing these settings (either to enable or disable compatibility view) can often solve issues users have in accessing a particular website.
These instructions show Internet Explorer 11.
View Internet Explorer help on the Microsoft website to find information on other versions of Internet Explorer.
1. Select the Tools drop-down menu or the gear icon in Internet Explorer.
2. Select Compatibility View settings.
3. Modify the settings either to enable Compatibility View for a site or to disable Compatibility View. Click Close when you have finished making changes.
In general, CSUF users should only need to have Display intranet sites in Compatibility View and Use Microsoft compatibility lists checked.
However, you may find that the specific website (even a campus website or web application) requires you to change this option.
Some websites need Compatibility View enabled in order for them to work well. Other websites need Compatibility View turned off in order to work well. You may have to try turning different features on and off to see which settings are needed for the specific website you are trying to access.
- Add a website to compatibility view by entering the URL and then clicking Add.
- Remove a website from compatibility view by selecting it and them clicking Remove.
- Check or uncheck the Display intranet sites in Compatibility View to see which option works well with the website you're trying to access.
- Check or uncheck Use Microsoft compatibility lists to see which option works well with the website you're trying to access.
- Click Close when you are done making changes.
4. You're done!
You may need to restart Internet Explorer for your settings to work.