Activating Your Zoom HIPAA Account
This article covers how approved users can activate their CSUF Zoom account on the HIPAA subaccount which offers additional protections for HIPAA-related interactions.
What can I expect with a Zoom HIPAA Account?
Under the U.S. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a HIPAA business associate agreement (BAA) is a contract between a HIPAA covered entity and a HIPAA business associate (BA). The contract protects personal health information (PHI) in accordance with HIPAA guidelines.
Keep in mind that changing an existing Zoom user account to a HIPAA-compliant account will restrict some of the current features of the Zoom account.
- End-To-End Encryption enabled for the meetings you schedule
- Cloud Recording will be disabled for the meetings you schedule.
- User information removed from Zoom reports for all meetings you schedule
- Encrypted Chat enabled. (Screen capture and image transfer are disabled in Chat)
For more information, view the Zoom HIPAA Compliance Guide (PDF).
These HIPAA-compliant features are enabled only for Zoom meetings scheduled by a HIPAA account. If you attend a meeting scheduled by someone else who uses non-HIPAA Zoom account, the security features are NOT enabled for that call.
1. Log in to your campus portal and click Web Meetings.
- Click on the Web Meetings portal app.
- Notice if you search for "zoom" in the search box, the portal will bring up the Web Meetings app.
2. Click on the CSUF Zoom Sign In button.
You can access the CSUF Zoom webpage directly as well.