Overview of Microsoft Office 365 2FA with Microsoft Authenticator (Alumni)
This article contains an overview over the Microsoft Office 365 2FA for Alumni change happening in 2021.
What is happening?
To improve the security of your Outlook email and Office apps, you will now be prompted to authenticate with Microsoft Authenticator two-factor authentication (2FA) when logging into Office apps and apps that use Microsoft authentication.
When is this happening?
Alumni will be required to use Microsoft Authenticator 2FA with Office 365 starting February, 8th, 2021.
Which apps are affected?
Below is a partial list of affected apps:
- Microsoft Outlook desktop app on PC and Mac
- Outlook mobile app on Apple iOS/iPad OS and Android
- Microsoft Office apps (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Teams)
- Web-based apps, including Office apps online (e.g., Outlook Online, Word Online)
What do I need to do?
Please note that you cannot update your apps until AFTER the change has been made to your account.
1. When prompted to sign in to an app, enter your campus email address (if not already populated). Then click Next.
- Enter your campus email address (e.g., [email protected]).
- Then click Next.
2. Enter your campus password. Then click Sign In.
- Enter your campus password. This is the same password that you use to log on to the campus portal.
- Then click Sign In.
3. Enter the code that you received via text message. Then click Verify.
Want to use the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device instead? View instructions on how to set up the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Enter the code you received via text message on your phone.
- Click Verify.
- Didn't get the text message? Click Sign in another way to have Microsoft Authenticator call your phone or if you have the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device, you can choose to get a push notification to approve.
4. If you are on a device that you use frequently, click Yes to stay signed in.
Didn't get a prompt or having issues? Click on an app to find out more about how to log in with Microsoft Authenticator.
Need More Help?
Contact the Student IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-8888.