Installing Office 2016 for At Home Use (Faculty & Staff)
This article covers how faculty and staff can download and install Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac or PC on their personal desktop or laptop computers at home.
NOTE: This installation may take up to an hour or more depending on your computer's processing speed and the speed of your internet connection. Most installations take less than an hour.
1. Open your browser to the CSUF Office 365 page.
Open your web browser to the CSUF Office 365 page.
2. Click Get Started for Faculty/Staff.
3. Enter your campus username and password. Then click Sign In.
- Enter your campus username and password.
- Click Sign In.
4. Click on the Install Office 2016 button at the top right.
4.1. Don't see the Install Office 2016 button? Click on the Settings icon and search for "install."
- Click on the Settings gear icon at the top right.
- Enter the search term "install" in the search box.
- Click on Software.
4.2. Click Install in the Software tab/window that opens.
A new Software tab/window will open. Scroll down and click Install.
5. The Office 2016 installation file will start downloading. Follow the on-screen instructions.
The system will automatically detect your system and start downloading the appropriate version of Office 2016 (PC or Mac).
Depending on which browser and system you are using, the screen will show you the instructions on how to continue your installation. In the screenshot above, notice that the downloaded file for Chrome appears at the bottom of the screen.
6. Follow the installation wizard instructions.
Depending on your installation type (PC or Mac), the appropriate installation wizard will open. You may need to click "Continue" or "Next" so be sure to wait until the actual installation starts before walking away from your computer.
7. Open an Office application (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.) to make sure you have activated it properly.
After the installation completes, open an Office application such as Word or Excel to make sure that the activation has completed.
Click Sign In if you see an activation message.
7.1. Enter your campus email address and click Next.
- Enter your campus email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click Next.
7.2. Choose your Office theme and then click Continue.
7.3. You're done!
Your Office 2016 installation is complete and you can now start using the downloaded applications.
NOTE: When you change your campus password as part of the campus password campaign, you may be prompted to enter your new password when you use your Office applications on your home computer.
Need More Help?
Contact the IT Help Desk at email@example.com or 657-278-7777 for additional assistance.
Want to set up Outlook to connect to your campus email account at home? Follow our directions on setting up Outlook at home for faculty/staff.