Approving Travel and Blanket Travel Requests
These instructions will cover how to approve two types of requests:
- Travel Request
- Blanket Travel Request
At the end of the instructions, there are reminders on what to check as an approver for both Travel Request and Blanket Travel Request.
- A Travel Request will be required if the traveler requests to go on a University business trip for more than 24 hours. You must identify the estimated travel expenses that will be incurred throughout the trip. To ensure you comply with Travel policies, ask your budget coordinator to provide an amount that is allowed for your department to spend on your travel expenses.
- A Blanket Travel Request will be required if the traveler requests to go on a business trip in California, within a fiscal year (July 1st – June 30th). Blanket Travel estimated expenses will only apply to parking and mileage.
To view your divisions approval workflow go to Concur Approval Workflow for more information.
Click on any of the links below to skip ahead to that section.
Table of Contents
If you need assistance with logging into Concur, please go to Logging into Concur.
Step 1: You will see your Concur dashboard, along with the number of approvals that are required to be approved by you as an Approver.
Click on Required Approvals.
Step 2: You will see three tabs: Trips, Requests, and Expense Reports. You will also see the number of approvals you need to approve for each tab.
Step 3: In the Requests tab, you will see requests that have been submitted to you for approval.
Click on the appropriate item.
In this example, Jan 2018 Las Vegas, NV was selected.
Options to review Travel Request are the same as Blanket Travel Request.
Step 4: You can approve multiple requests by checking on the boxes and then click on Approve.
However, it is highly recommended for you to review each request individually.
Step 5: If you have a delegate set-up to preview requests, you will see a checkmark listed next to the requests indicating that it is ready for you to review.
Step 6: After you click on the request, you can review details by selecting each tab.
It is highly recommended to review all tabs with particular attention to Request Header, Segments, and Expense Summary before approving the request.
After reviewing all the tabs, you will see three options for approval:
- Approve & Forward
- Send Back Request
The Approve button will approve the request, and move it on to the next approver or notify the employee of their eligibility to book for their travel.
- If you do not need to add additional approvers, proceed to Approve.
The Approve & Forward button will approve the request on your end and will move forward to the next Approver that you will designate.
- This option is best for situations where another department is paying for your employee to travel.
- If you are the Approver for your employee, but another department is paying for your employee to travel, proceed to Approving & Forwarding.
The Send Back Request button will send the request back to the user.
- Select this option if the traveler needs to make corrections on the request.
- If you are sending the request back, proceed to Send Back Request.
Step 1: After you reviewed the employee’s request, select Approve.
Step 1a: A confirmation window will pop-up, indicating the request has been approved.
Click on the X to exit the pop-up window once you are done approving or it will disappear after a few seconds.
Approving and Forwarding
Step 1: After you reviewed the employee’s request, select Approve & Forward.
The Approve & Forward button will be available in all tabs except Approval Flow.
Step 1a: After you click on Approve & Forward, you should see the page as shown here.
Step 1b: Click in the User-Added Approver field, and another field will appear below.
The field below is where you can determine what category you would like to search by.
Click on the drop-down arrow by that field.
Step 1c: In this step, First Name was selected.
Add the next approver under User-Added Approver by typing in their First Name.
Step 1d: When you are ready to approve the requests, select Approve.
Send Back Request
Step 1: Select Send Back Request button when there are red exceptions, such as:
- Receipts/attachments are not attached to certain expenses
- Wrong naming convention
- Estimated expenses not identified
- Estimated expense amount is unreasonable (comments need to be added)
- Incorrect dates
Step 1a: Type in the reason you are sending the request back in the comment section.
Then click OK.
Approving Travel Request Checklist
If you would like to use a checklist, click on the Approving Travel Request Checklist.
Approving Blanket Travel Request Checklist
If you would like to use a checklist, click on the Approving Blanket Travel Request Checklist.
Need more help?
Contact Concur Support at email@example.com or at 657-278-3600.