Approving a Purchase Requisition
This article covers how authorized purchase requisition approvers can approve purchase requisitions in CFS (Common Financial System).
Don't have access to approve requisitions? Need to specify that you are the approver for a specific person? View the IT Access Request Form guides and/or web tutorials on how to fill out a Finance Access Request Form.
Requisitions are reviewed and approved online in CFS before a purchase order is created. “Open” requisitions are reviewed and marked as “Approved” by an authorized Approver. A nightly batch process budget checks the eligible requisitions, and then the requisition becomes available for the Procurement department to source to a purchase order the following morning.
1. You will receive an email indicating that you have a purchase requisition to approve. Open the attached PDF file.
You may want to copy the Requisition ID by highlighting the number and then holding down Ctrl + C (or Command + C on a Mac). This will allow you to paste the number when approving rather than having to type it out.
The Requester will send an email to their Approver notifying them of a requisition requiring their approval.
Open the attached PDF document to review the requisition.
2. Review the requisition for completeness and accuracy.
Review the requisition (and any attachments) for completeness and accuracy. All details of the requisition, including comments, are included in the PDF.
If any corrections need to be made, contact the Requester who created the requisition. You will receive an updated PDF via email when the corrections are made.
If the requisition is correct as is, proceed to the next step.
It’s important to ensure the chartfields are correct to avoid charging the requisition incorrectly.
3. Log in to CFS from Titan Online on the campus portal.
4. Click on the Add/Update Requisitions tile on your CFS homepage.
- Click on the Add/Update Requisitions navigation tile.
- If you do not have the tile set up, you can navigate to NavBar > Navigator > Purchasing > Requisitions > Add/Update Requisitions.
5. Click Find an Existing Value.
6. Enter the Requisition ID and then click Search.
- Enter the Requisition ID from the email you received in step 1; if you copied the requisition number from the email, you can paste it in to this field.
- Click Search.
If you get an error saying you do not have authorization to update the requisition, this means that you do not have authorization to approve that requester's requisitions. View the IT Access Request Form guides and/or web tutorials on how to fill out a Finance Access Request Form to add yourself as an approver for the requester.
Alternatively, a different approver who does have authorization to approve that requester's requisitions can approve the requisition. For example, most division finance managers have access to approve all requisitions created by the requesters in their division.
7. Click the approve icon.
When you are ready to approve the requisition, click the green checkmark icon at the top of the page.
The requisition is automatically saved when you approve it.
Occasionally, you will see an error message that says the Accounting Period is not open. Follow the steps below to correct the issue by changing the Accounting Date to a date in the current Accounting Period/month.
1. Click OK on the error message.
2. Click on the calendar icon next to the Accounting Date.
3. Click Current Date.
You can choose any date in the current month, but for simplicity's sake you can simply click Current Date.
4. If the requisition does not automatically continue the approval, click the Approve icon again.
Typically as soon as you correct the Accounting Date, the system will continue with the approval process and the Status will change to Approved.
If not, click on the green check mark icon again to approve the requisition.
8. You're done!
Once the Status is Approved, you're done! You can log out of CFS and/or close the window.
Need More Help?
Technical issue with CFS? Contact the IT Help Desk at email@example.com or 657-278-7777.
Questions about how to do something in CFS? Contact IT Training at firstname.lastname@example.org or 657-278-5647.