Duo Universal Prompt for Campus Portal Login and Shibboleth Authentication
This article covers how the Duo Universal Prompt will impact campus users logging into the campus portal and campus applications that use the campus portal/Shibboleth authentication process.
- Campus Portal for faculty, staff, and students (July 13th, 2023 at 9am)
This update impacts logging in to the campus portal and campus applications that use the campus portal/Shibboleth authentication (e.g., Zoom, Employee Training Center, Dropbox, 25Live, LinkedIn Learning, Qualtrics).
How does Duo universal prompt impact logging in to the campus portal and other apps that use the portal login?
You will likely be prompted to authenticate with Duo the next time you log in to the campus portal or to other campus apps online such as accessing your Dropbox account on the web, but desktop applications like the Zoom desktop app should not prompt you to authenticate again immediately.
Then you will be taken to a Duo authentication page. By default, Duo will choose the most secure method of authentication based on the devices you have added to Duo and automatically send a push/text/call to that device. However, you can click Other options to choose another option.
Duo authentication methods from most to least secure:
- Verified Duo Push
- Duo Mobile push approval
- Duo Mobile generated passcodes
- Hardware token passcodes
- SMS passcodes
- Phone call approval
- Duo will automatically send a push/text/call to your most secure method of authentication. In this example, a Duo push is being sent to an Apple iPhone.
- Click Other options to choose a different way to authenticate.
If you choose Other options, click on the authentication method/device you want to use. Or click Need help for additional assistance.
The list is ordered to have the most secure options at the top, so if you have multiple devices added to your Duo account, you will see them grouped by the type of authentication (e.g., Duo Push, Duo Mobile passcode, Hardware token, Text message passcode, Phone call).
- Click on the Duo authentication method and device that you want to use to authenticate.
- Or click Need help? for additional assistance.