How to Use 7-Zip to Encrypt Files and Folders
This guide covers how to encrypt files and folders on your Windows PC computer using 7-Zip.
1. Right click on the file / folder to be encrypted.
2. Select 7-Zip and then select Add to archive.
- Select 7-Zip
- Then select Add to archive.
3. Change the name of the archive in the Add to Archive window to reflect the contents of the archive.
4. Change the Archive format to 7z (if it's not already selected).
5. Enter a password for the archive.
Use a strong password with at least 12 characters containing upper and lowercase letters, and a minimum of one number.
6. Click OK to create the encrypted archive file. The new archive file will be located in the same folder as the original file/folder.
Do not share a password via email. Passwords must be shared via out of band, meaning that you send the file and the password by different communication channels: one on the internet, and one not. The best way is to call the recipient of the Zip file and convey the password over the phone.