Transitioning from Zoom HIPAA Subaccount to Group
This article covers how users currently in the Zoom HIPAA Subaccount can complete the transition to the Zoom HIPAA Group. All of the specialized HIPAA compliancy settings will remain in effect for your account.
Although you may be prompted with similar steps if you are signing into the Zoom desktop app, it's recommended that you use the Zoom web portal to make this transition and then sign in to the Zoom desktop app.
Under the U.S. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a HIPAA business associate agreement (BAA) is a contract between a HIPAA covered entity and a HIPAA business associate (BA). The contract protects personal health information (PHI) in accordance with HIPAA guidelines.
Keep in mind that changing an existing Zoom user account to a HIPAA-compliant account will restrict some of the current features of the Zoom account.
- End-To-End Encryption enabled for the meetings you schedule
- Cloud Recording will be disabled for the meetings you schedule.
- User information removed from Zoom reports for all meetings you schedule
- Encrypted Chat enabled. (Screen capture and image transfer are disabled in Chat)
For more information, view the Zoom HIPAA Compliance Guide (PDF).
These HIPAA-compliant features are enabled only for Zoom meetings scheduled by a HIPAA account. If you attend a meeting scheduled by someone else who uses non-HIPAA Zoom account, the security features are NOT enabled for that meeting.
1. Log in to your campus portal and click Zoom.
- Search for the Zoom app using the search bar on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Zoom app.
3. Click Switch to the New Account.
4. Click I Acknowledge and Switch.
5. You will see a notification that an email with further instructions was sent to your campus email account.
6. Click on Switch to the new account in the email you receive.
If the button does not work for you, you can copy and paste the URL/link below the button into a web browser.
7. Click I Acknowledge and Switch.
8. Your account has been successfully transitioned! You can click Sign in Now to sign in to your Zoom web portal.
9. You may want to restart your computer or sign out/sign in on the Zoom desktop app.
Your old account information may be stored in the Zoom desktop app. Restarting your computer is the best way to update your settings. However, you can also sign out of the Zoom desktop app and sign back in. View instructions on signing into the Zoom desktop app.