Creating a Vote & Rank Survey with Anonymous Link
This article covers how faculty, staff, and students can create a vote & rank survey in Qualtrics and distribute it as an anonymous link with security settings that prevent multiple submissions and do not collect IP addresses, location data, or contact info from users who complete the survey.
1. Log in to the campus portal and access Qualtrics.
2. Click Create a new project.
3. Scroll down on the right to the Project templates section and select Vote and Rank. Or enter vote and rank in the filter on the left and then select Vote and Rank.
- Scroll down on the right to the Project templates section and then select Vote and Rank.
- Or enter vote and rank in the filter search on the left.
- Then select Vote and Rank.
4. Click Get Started in the Vote and Rank pop-up window.
5. Enter a name for your project/survey. Select the folder you want to save the project in (if applicable). Then click Create Project.
- Enter a name for your survey/project.
- Select the folder you want to save the project in (if applicable).
- Then click Create project.
6. Review the instruction "question" and then delete it.
The instruction question contains helpful tips about how to use this pre-built survey, so feel free to keep it on the survey as long as you need. Just be sure to delete it before you send your survey!
- To delete the instruction question, click on the three dots on the right of the question.
- Then select Delete.
7. Click on a question to edit the question text.
8. Click on an answer to edit the answer text. Click on the carat button next to the answer for additional options, including removing the answer.
- Click on an answer to edit the answer text.
- Click on the carat button next to the answer for additional options for this answer.
- Click Remove Choice to remove the answer.
9. If you see the IQ icon next to a question, click on it. Then click See Details to find out more about why this question may not meet accessibility requirements and how to fix it.
- Click on the IQ icon.
- Then click See Details.
10. To add a new question, click on Add new question below the final question on the survey. Or click the plus sign icon above or below any question to quickly add a new question to that location.
- Click Add new question to select the type of question you want to add. The question will be created below the final question on the survey, but you can move it.
- Click the plus sign icon above or below a question to quickly add a new question. The question will usually be a multiple choice question by default, but you can use the panel on the left to change the question type.
10.1. If you chose to click Add new question, choose the type of question you want to add.
11. When you are done editing your survey, check that the ExpertReview score is Great, so everyone can participate in your survey.
12. Click Preview to double check what the survey looks like on desktop and mobile.
13. The survey preview opens in a new tab/window. Review your survey to make sure it appears as you would like. You can click on the survey options in both the desktop view on the left and the mobile view on the right. Click Restart Survey to go through the survey again. You can click Mobile View to turn that view on or off. Close the tab when you are done with your preview.
- The desktop view of the survey is on the left.
- The mobile view of the survey is on the right.
- Click Restart Survey to go through the survey again in preview mode.
- Click Mobile view to turn the mobile preview on or off.
14. To set up security and anonymity, click on the Survey Options icon.
15. Select Security and then toggle the switch under Prevent multiple submissions to set it to On.
This option will help prevent multiple submissions by the same user.
16. Scroll down and set Anonymize responses to On.
This will ensure that respondents' IP address, location data, and contact info are not stored.
18. Click Web.
During the distribution process, your survey will be published and made active.
19. Click Use Anonymous Link.
20. Click Copy survey link to copy it to your clipboard. You can now paste the link into an email or on a website to distribute the survey.
Need More Help?
Questions related to training, support, survey creation and design
Contact Qualtrics support at 800-340-9194 or visit the Qualtrics support site.
Problems accessing Qualtrics or questions about your Qualtrics account
Faculty/Staff - contact the IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-7777.
Students - contact the Student IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-8888.