Extending the Expiration Date of an Email Account
This article covers how Department IT Coordinators (DITCs) can extend the expiration date of a faculty/staff or administrative email account.
You can use the extend expiration process to extend the expiration date of an active email account as well as re-enable an email account that has been disabled and there is no active People Directory position.
1. Log in to the IT Service Request Forms and access Account Management.
2. Select Email/Login Accounts. Then search for the email account.
Note you can enter partial information in the search field such as a Last Name to locate an account.
- Select Email/Login Accounts.
- Enter search criteria such as Name, CWID, username (e.g., jsmith), or Department.
- Note the account status. If the account is Disabled, extending the expiration will also re-enable the account.
3. Place a checkmark next to the account. Then click Extend Expiration.
- Place a checkmark next to the account whose expiration you want to extend.
- Then click Extend Expiration.
4. Enter the new expiration date for the account.
The expiration date of an email account does not need to be tied to an employee's last day of work. You can keep the account active for a few days/weeks/months after an employee has left employment; it will not impact any Human Resources or Payroll-related processes.
What date should I put?
- If the employee is an on-going employee (e.g., fiscal renewal employee), it's recommended that you pick a date that is six (6) months from now which is the maximum amount of time you can add.
- If the employee has an end date, it is recommended that you put the day AFTER their last day to avoid the account being disabled while they are still working. For example, if their last day is Friday, September 4th, you would want to put their end date as Saturday, September 5th.
- If you just need to re-enable the user's account in order to submit an IT Clearance Form, choose a day that is several business days from today to allow time for the account to be re-enabled and for you to submit the IT Clearance.
5. Use the drop-down menu to select a reason for the account extension.
- Contract Renewal or Rehire: the employee is still working in your department or will still be working in your department, but the update has not yet been processed by Human Resources.
- Pending Emeritus request: the employee has retired, but a request for emeritus status is in process. This allows the account to remain active while the emeritus request is reviewed. Once the emeritus status is granted, the account should update to add an Emeritus position in the People Directory. Be sure to email firstname.lastname@example.org if an employee has been granted emeritus status and you do not see the change in Account Management or Outlook.
- Other: there is another reason you want to extend the account.
6. Choose the People Directory Position that you want to extend for the employee. Then click Continue.
Be sure to choose a position that is in the correct department!
Remember that ASC/Foundation employees and ASI employees do not typically have position percentages as their employment is not through campus Human Resources.
A. Choose the position you want to extend.
If there is a position with the Position Status as Active, that is typically the position you will select.
If the Position Status is Separated, typically you will look for positions with a number in the Percentage column as those are positions added from CMS Human Resources.
B. Click Continue.
7. Review the information and then click Extend Expiration.
8. You will get an email confirmation of your request.
9. Once the request has been processed, you will get another email notification.
Need More Help?
Contact the IT Help Desk at email@example.com or 657-278-7777.