Requesting an Email Account for a New Employee
This article covers how Department IT Coordinators (DITCs) can request an email account for a new faculty or staff employee.
Remember that employees must have a People Directory entry with an active position before you can request an email account for them. View instructions on adding an employee to the People Directory and adding a new position for an existing employee.
1. Log in to the IT Service Request Forms and access Account Management.
2. Click on People Directory.
While you can go directly to the Email/Login Accounts page to request an email account, you will need to enter the employee's Social Security Number (SSN) if you request the email from that page.
If you are not already on the People Directory screen, click People Directory.
3. Look up the person for whom you want to create an email account. Click Select next to their name. Then click View next to their active position in your department.
Don't see the correct position? View instructions on adding an employee to the People Directory and adding a new position for an existing employee.
- Enter search criteria to look up the employee. You can search by CWID or name.
- Click Select next to the employee for whom you want to request an email account.
- Click View next to their active position in your department.
4. Click Request Email.
5. First, choose if you need an Email Account or just a Login Account.
Note that when you choose Email Account, Login Account is automatically also checked.
6. Adjust the First Name, Last Name, Display First Name, and Display Last Name as needed.
Note that First Name and Last Name are the employee's legal first/last name. Display First Name and Display Last Name allows you to choose something different to be displayed in Outlook (e.g., Bob instead of Robert).
First Name and Last Name will be overridden by the appropriate Human Resources data once available (e.g., for state workers, their legal name in CMS HR will populate into these fields).
7. If the employee is an MPP, place a checkmark next to Management. Optionally, you can enter a Personal Title to be shown in the Phone Directory.
- Place a checkmark next to Management if the employee is an MPP. This will show their Title as Management in Outlook and get them added to DL-Management.
- Optional: enter the employee's Personal Title to be shown in the Phone Directory.
8. An available username will be populated in Prefered username, but you can adjust the username if needed. Then enter the employee's off-campus email to be used for password recovery and/or receiving a one-time Duo passcode.
Please note that you cannot add symbols or numbers to the username.
- An available username will be populated, but you can adjust it if needed. In the example above, the system suggested "tutitan" for Tuffy, but it was adjusted to "tuffytitan" to be a little less confusing.
- Enter the employee's Off-Campus Email to be used for password recovery and/or receiving a one-time Duo passcode.
9. Enter the employee's mobile phone number to be used with Duo for two-factor authentication. If the employee does not have a cell phone number, place a checkmark next to I don't have a cellphone number of the account user.
If you do not enter a mobile phone number for the employee, they will need to contact the Help Desk before they can log in to their portal.
10. Use the Department drop-down menu to select the employee's department. If applicable, enter the expiration date for the account.
Normally it is not necessary to include the expiration date if the employee is in one of the Human Resources databases as those databases will provide the expiration date.
- Use the Department drop-down menu to select the employee's department. If you do not see the appropriate department, send an email to [email protected].
- If applicable, enter the Account expiration date for this employee's account.
11. Enter the Office and Work Phone for the employee. Then select the Location from the drop-down menu.
Note that Office is a required field, but Work Phone is not. It's highly recommended that you enter information for both fields so the employee's contact information is not blank in the Outlook address book.
- Enter the Office location and Work Phone for the employee. If none has been assigned yet, you can use the department's main extension and location for now.
- Use the Location drop-down menu to select which CSU Fullerton location the employee will mainly be used.
13. Verify the information is correct and then click Submit.
14. You will see a confirmation that your request was submitted. You'll also receive an email confirmation.
When the email account has been created, you will get another email letting you know the temporary password that has been assigned to the account.
Need More Help?
Contact the IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-7777.