Switches and Access Points Request
This article covers how Department IT Coordinators (DITCs) can fill out the Switches and Access Points request to request a new network switch or wireless access point or request changes to an existing network switch/wireless access point.
1. Log in to the IT Service Desk through the direct link or from the campus portal.
2. Click on Telephone, Cellular, and Wiring.
3. Click on Switches and Access Points.
4. Select the type of device you are requesting: Switch or Access Point (WiFi).
5. Select the network you want for the device.
If you click on More Information, you'll see that Private is used most often for labs and Public is used for offices, conference rooms, and other locations.
Select either Public or Private for the network.
6. Select the request type.
NOTE: You cannot move a network switch or wireless access point from one room to another.
Select from the following request types:
- Add (create a brand new switch/access point)
- Move (move an existing switch/access point within the same room; i.e. if you are getting new modular furniture which will block a switch/access point, you may want to move that switch/access point a few inches)
- Remove (completely remove a switch/access point from a room; i.e. if you are having a contractor remove an entire wall in a room, you may want to remove a switch/access point on that wall completely)
7. Enter the location of the switch/access point.
For Add requests, this location should be where you want the new switch/access point to be placed.
For Move requests, you can enter the current location as well as instructions (i.e. move 6 inches to the left or move to opposite wall near desk).
For Remove requests, enter the current location of the switch/access point you want to remove.
8. Enter any additional information about your request.
9. Select the account code to be billed.
Select the account code to be billed for any charges for this request.
10. Click Proceed to Checkout.
You will not be able to submit other orders along with the Switches and Access Points request.
Click Proceed to Checkout when you are ready to submit the order.
11. Enter the name of the person who is requesting this wiring change in the Requested for field.
Enter the name of the person for whom you are submitting this request in the Requested for field. For a wiring request, this could be a department tech. Or you can put your (the Department IT Coordinator) name.
12. Click Edit to make changes to the request. Enter the name of the employee for whom you are requesting this switch/access point in the Requested For field. Optionally you can add any additional comments about this request in the Special instructions section. Then click Checkout to submit your request.
You can also put your own name in the Requested For field if there isn't a specific person requesting this change.
- Click Edit to make changes to the switch/access point request.
- Enter the name of the employee for whom you a requesting this switch/access point in the Requested for section. You can type the name in or click on the magnifying glass icon to look up a user.
- You can add any optional comments in the Special instructions box.
- Click Checkout to submit your request.
13. You're done! You'll receive an email confirmation of your request in addition to seeing the Request Number and RITM number.
Want to help your order move faster? For add and move switch/access point requests, consider putting a post-it note on the wall where you want the switch/access point. This will help the technician know exactly where you want a new switch/access point installed or a current switch/access point moved.
When contacting the IT Help Desk about this request, it is most helpful to provide the RITM number. But you can also provide the REQ number. Learn more about Request Number vs RITM number.
The person listed in the Requested For field will also get an email confirmation of this request.
Need More Help?
Contact the IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-7777.