Requesting a Service Account
This article covers how Department IT Coordinators (DITCs) can request a service account for their department. Service accounts are campus accounts that campus/department techs or vendors set up to run services on a campus server, campus workstation, or in the cloud, so typically it will be a campus/department tech who is requesting that a DITC submit this request.
1. Log in to the IT Service Request Forms and access Account Management.
2. Click on Email/Login Accounts.
3. Click New Account.
4. Select Other from the Category drop-down menu.
5. Select Service Account from the Type drop-down menu.
6. Next, select how the account will be used: Option 1 - Server Service Account or Option 2 - Workstation Service Account.
- Option 1 - Server Service Account: service account that will be running a service on a campus server or in the cloud.
- Option 2 - Workstation Service Account: service account that will be running a service on a campus workstation.
7. First, choose under which campus Domain the service account should be created. Then enter the display name for the new account.
- Choose the campus Domain under which the service account will be created: AD, ACAD, or AF.
- Enter a display name for the new account. Typically the word "service" should be part of the name (e.g., Service [name of application or service]).
8. Enter the username you'd like for the new account. Then use the Department drop-down menu to select the department associated with the new account.
- Enter the username you'd like for the account. When you click Continue at the bottom of this screen, the system will give you an error if that username is not available.
- Use the Department drop-down menu to select the department that should be associated with the account. If you do not see the appropriate department, send an email to [email protected].
9. Enter a description for how this account will be used. If necessary, you can adjust the Account expiration date to be less than one year.
Service accounts need to be renewed each year. The Department IT Coordinators (DITCs) associated with the department you choose for the account will be notified 30 days prior to the expiration date and can renew the account for another year.
- Enter a description of how this account will be used.
- By default, the account is set to expire one year from today. You can use the calendar icon to adjust the expiration date if you want the account to be active for less than one year. You cannot extend the expiration beyond one year.
10. Entering Office and Work Phone are optional for service accounts. Select the Location from the drop-down menu to choose the CSU Fullerton location to associate with the account.
- Office location and Work Phone are optional for service accounts, especially since they will not appear in any campus directories.
- Use the Location drop-down menu to select with which CSU Fullerton location the account should be associated (usually this will be Fullerton Main Campus).
11. Enter the username of the primary user/owner for this account.
The primary user/owner is important because this person will be authorized to request password resets on behalf of this account. They will also get notifications relating to this account, including when the account is going to expire.
Enter the username of the primary user/owner for this account. For service accounts, this is often a campus/department tech.
12. Then click Continue.
13. Verify the information is correct and then click Submit.
14. You will see a confirmation that your request was submitted. You'll also receive an email confirmation.
When the service account has been created, you will get another email letting you know the temporary password that has been assigned to the account.
Need More Help?
Contact the IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-7777.